St. John Valley

Fort Kent man arrested following high-speed chases through multiple St. John Valley towns

FORT KENT, Maine — A Fort Kent man was arrested after he allegedly led police on several high-speed chases stretching from Van Buren to Fort Kent from the evening of Friday, Dec. 10, into the early morning hours of Saturday, Dec. 11.

While on duty early Saturday morning, Fort Kent Sgt. Garrett Albert learned that a Lincoln Town Car had evaded police from multiple other agencies.

At around 2 a.m., Albert saw a vehicle matching the description at the Paradis Shop and Save parking lot in Fort Kent. 

As Albert’s cruiser approached, the car took off at a high rate of speed. Albert pursued with lights and sirens operating but the suspect refused to stop his vehicle. 

Albert terminated the chase shortly after it began when he felt it could endanger the public. 

Police clocked the Town Car at speeds over 100 miles per hour during the chases. 

Through investigation, police determined 18-year-old Dawson Deschaine had allegedly been operating the vehicle involved in the chases. 

Later Saturday, Fort Kent Officer Michael Paradis located Deschaine, arrested him and transported him to the Aroostook County Jail. 

Deschaine was charged with eluding an officer, driving to endanger, criminal speeding, operating after suspension and violating conditions of release. 

Deschaine was also allegedly involved in another chase with Fort Kent officers on Dec. 1, and when police arrested Deschaine on Saturday, they charged him in connection to that crime as well. 

“Public safety is a priority, and individuals who run from us in a motor vehicle put themselves, officers and obviously members of the public at risk for serious harm,” Fort Kent Police Chief Michael Delena said. “If you are located, you will be arrested and charged accordingly.”

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.