Police & Fire

Fort Kent firefighters respond when phone charger catches fire

FORT KENT, Maine — Disaster was averted Nov. 18 when smoke detectors alerted homeowners to a fire that was ignited by a spliced-up phone charger at a Fort Kent residence. 

Thirteen volunteer firefighters responded to the call at 325 South Perley Brook Rd. along with one engine and the heavy rescue truck shortly before 7:30 p.m.

“A young man was trying to rig up a cell phone charger and he was splicing some wires,” Fort Kent Fire Chief Ed Endee said. “He did that and put that on a table next to his bed and went into the shower.”

The young man’s parents were at home and heard smoke detectors sounding and saw smoke coming from the bedroom. 

The homeowners used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames, which burned the nightstand table and scorched a bed. 

“There were no injuries but it made a little bit of a mess of the place,” Chief Endee said. 

The firefighters ensured the fire was contained and verified there was nothing wrong with the home’s wiring.

The situation could have been much worse if not for the preparedness of the homeowners, Chief Endee said. 

“They had working smoke detectors which is very, very important that alerted them and they had a fire extinguisher,” he said.  

The firefighters left the house to return to the station at 7:44 p.m. 

 

 

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.