UMFK

Steam from a grill triggers fire alarm at UMFK Fox Auditorium

FORT KENT, Maine — A crew cleaning a grill at University of Maine at Fort Kent’s Fox Auditorium kitchen caused enough steam to trigger a smoke detector and set off an alarm, according to Fort Kent Fire Chief Ed Endee.

Fort Kent firefighters responded to the report of the sounding fire alarm Monday evening. Eleven volunteer firefighters responded to the call along with one fire engine.

Students meeting in the building evacuated when they were alerted by the fire alarm.

A cleaning crew had put water on the grill, Chief Endee said.

No students, firefighters or others were injured, and there was no damage to the building. 

Earlier on Monday, 10 Fort Kent firefighters responded with two engines and the squad to a truck fire near 1025 Caribou Road. 

The tire of a dump truck loaded with asphalt caught fire. The tire likely overheated, according to Endee. 

Firefighters extinguished the flames. The truck, although slightly damaged, was driven from the scene, Endee said. 

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.