Police & Fire

Fort Kent firefighters respond to grass, stove fires

FORT KENT, Maine — Fort Kent volunteer firefighters have had a busy week so far. 

About 8 a.m. on Monday, April 12, 10 Fort Kent firefighters along with one engine responded to a report of a grass fire at 30 Charette Hill Road. An electrical malfunction of a utility pole caused the 6-foot diameter grass fire, Fort Kent Fire Chief Ed Endee said. 

A neighbor had put out the small grass fire by the time firefighters arrived.

On Tuesday, April 13, at about 1 p.m., 12 volunteer firefighters responded with three engines and the tower ladder to a report of a stovetop fire at a 19 Brookside Drive apartment.

A resident had burned a cooking pot. 

“The damage was contained to the pot and we cleared out the smoke,” Chief Endee said. “There was no damage to the apartment.”

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.