Small grease fire at Big Rick’s quickly doused by employees
MADAWASKA, Maine — A grease fire at Big Rick’s Burgers & Wings on March 24 resulted in no injuries and did no significant structural damage. Madawaska Fire Department responded just after 4 p.m., but the employees were able to douse the flames before firefighters arrived.
First responders closed Main Street for 45 minutes, while firefighters assessed the situation and used industrial fans to aid in clearing smoke from the building.
Fire Chief Jim Soucy reported that the fire originated at a fryer, and spread to do some damage to the overhead hood.
In a Facebook post, the restaurant announced it closed for that afternoon and evening, as well as the following day, March 25, for cleaning and repairs, but intended to open again on Friday afternoon.
“Thanks to the employees for using fire extinguishers to help put out the fire before the Fire Dept arrived,” Soucy wrote in an email. “It probably saved the building.”