St. John Valley

Firefighters respond to chimney fire in St. Francis

ST. FRANCIS, Maine — No one was injured during a Saturday morning chimney fire at a St. Francis residence.
The owner of a home at 467 Main St. reported the fire shortly after 9 a.m.
Five volunteer St. Francis firefighters responded along with the pumper truck. Fort Kent firefighters provided mutual aid.
The firefighters knocked out the fire and were able to leave the scene by 10:30 a.m.
The home had some minor smoke damage, according to St. Francie Fire Chief Gerald Jandreau.
An overheated stove pipe caused the fire.
Jandreau cautioned homeowners who heat with wood stoves to be careful not to build too big a wood fire for the outside temperature, which can cause the piping to overheat.
“It happens quite often after a warmup,” Jandreau said.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.