From our Files – Week of February 2, 2021
50 Years Ago — Feb. 4, 1971
Guerrette Is “Homemaker” — Madawaska High School’s 1971 Betty Crocker Homemaker of Tomorrow is senior Ann Guerrette. Selected for her performance in a written knowledge and attitude examination administered to senior girls on Dec. 1, 1971, Miss Guerrette has received a letter of congratulations from General Mills, sponsor of the annual educational program.
She has also been awarded a specially designed silver charm, and is now eligible for state and national honors.
Madawaska office seekers remain same — Officially the political situation is quiet. So reports Town Clerk Antoine Picard, who said no additional nomination papers were turned in at his office during the past week. “As of now James Yearwood and Victor Plourde have turned in papers for seats on the School Board and Gerard Pelletier is officially running for a seat on the Board of Selectmen,” said Picard. He added there is only one opening for each board.
25 Years Ago — Jan. 31, 1996
Condominiums approved for 19th Avenue — A 12-unit condominium project had been approved for construction in Madawaska. Madawaska Planning Board Chairman Gerald Dufour said that the plan was approved Tuesday, Jan. 23, 1996. Developer David Morin of Madawaska said the approval was nine months in the making, with the planning board requesting a number of modifications in the original plan. Morin said the plan now is to sell four or five of the units by next spring, when groundbreaking is expected to take place on 19th Avenue.
Potato seed grower wins award — Berce Potato Company Inc. of St. Agatha has achieved national recognition. Its owner, Ned Berce, recently became the National Potato Council’s 1995 Seed Grower of the Year. Berce, who raises seed for seed growers, recognized Tom Houghton, a long-standing customer of his farm, for contributing to his success.
10 Years Ago — Feb. 2, 2011
New Brunswick gives OK to build bridge — New Brunswick has stepped up to the plate. Plans are back on to begin construction of the international bridge from Fort Kent to Clair, N.B., according to Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Claude Williams who announced in a press release on Friday, Jan. 28, 2011, that the combined provincial and Maine state governments are as originally planned. The plans had been temporarily halted while newly elected officials reviewed the province’s capital budget estimates. Those estimates did not include the International Bridge when the document was released in December 2010.