Essential services continue with safety protocols in Edmundston
EDMUNDSTON, New Brunswick — In keeping with the most recent recommendations of New Brunswick’s Chief Medical Officer of Health regarding efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19, and in keeping with other New Brunswick cities, Edmundston City Hall and all other municipal buildings closed Wednesday, March 18, and will remain closed until further notice. Essential services will continue to operate with safeguards to protect staff and the public.
Which municipal facilities are closed?
- City Hall and related municipal offices
- The police station
- The three fire stations and community centres
- The Arts Centre
- The entire Sports Pavilion (indoor pool, climbing, walking, etc.)
- The Saint-Basile Arena, the Palladium of Saint-Jacques and the Jean-Daigle Centre
- The Public Works Department Building
- The Edmundston Energy Building
What essential services continue to function?
- The Police Force
- The Fire Department
- The Energy Department
- The 911 communication centre – in the event of an emergency, the public must continue to call 911. Medical inquiries regarding COVID-19 should be directed to 8-1-1.
Other essential services that will continue to operate include water and sewage treatment, road clearing, garbage collection and public communications. The City Hall payment counter is closed. People can make their payment through their financial institution, online or by mailing a cheque. Some city employees have been equipped to work from home.
“As a community, we are in a race against time. We must put in place all possible measures that people are separated, the protection of the public and our staff by limiting the spread of the virus as much as possible, but also by continuing to offer services to citizens,” explained Mayor Cyrille Simard.
Protective Measures: Personnel providing essential services will follow all provincial security protocols to protect themselves and the public from COVID-19. This will include the practice of physical separation, hand washing and/or use of hand sanitizer, wearing protective equipment where appropriate, and cleaning of high-contact surfaces. Employees who feel unwell will be immediately asked to isolate themselves.
Need more information?
For the latest news on COVID-19 (coronavirus), visit www.gnb.ca/coronavirus.