News

3 departments respond to commercial garage fire

FORT KENT, Maine — Volunteer firefighters from three departments were able to extinguish a fire at a commercial garage in Fort Kent on Tuesday.

 

Twenty-two Fort Kent firefighters responded to the fire call at 180 St. John Road at 1:49 a.m. Chief Ed Endee requested mutual aid from the St. Francis and Frenchville fire departments. In addition, North Lakes Fire and Rescue covered the Fort Kent Station.

The 40-foot by 76-foot metal garage is owned by Dale Plourde Logging. The fire was caused by a deteriorated woodstove chimney, according to Endee. 

No firefighters or residents were injured as a result of the fire and the firefighters were able to save the building, which had interior damage. Tools and supplies within the structure were lost to the fire.

The firefighters left the scene at 4:41 a.m.

Correction: An earlier photo was of another garage that Dale Plourde Logging owned. 

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.