Top Stories

Trunk-or-treat draws hundreds to Grand Isle

GRAND ISLE, Maine — Little monsters of all ages went out to trunk-or-treat in Grand Isle Sunday night for a night of candy gathering, s’mores making, costume contests, a haunted house and food and hot chocolate for all. 

Trunk-or-treat is a form of trick-or-treating where people volunteer their cars in a central location for children to go from trunk to trunk searching for candy as if they were going door-to-door.

The evening began with nearly 20 trunks lined up. So many trunks, in fact, that organizer Lindsay Dretchen was having a hard time finding room for all of them.

More than 300 children and adults attended the event. Some agencies around the area also participated as trunks for the trunk-or-treat including Aroostook County Sheriff’s Office, Van Buren Ambulance, Grand Isle Fire Department, the ATV club, and Grand Isle Homecoming Committee. 

The entire event was run solely based on donations, which included the hot dogs, french fries, hot chocolate, s’mores bar, and, of course, candy. 

Lance Corbin and his team put on one of the most successful haunted houses the town had seen complete with a scary campsite and graveyard. 

While the haunted house was open for two days — the second night during trunk-or-treat — the haunted house was dialed down for the younger children. 

“I’m going trunk or treating cause it’s trunk-or-treat day,” said 5-year-old Kenzie Waltz. “I am getting lots of candy, and this is my second time going through the haunted house! I went the first time and I wasn’t scared now I’m going for the second time, and I’m not scared.” 

Alexandria Waltz, Kenzie’s mother, said that she loved the event and liked the location and how it was set up. 

“I like that they have different activities,” she said. “I love that the area is confined and that you don’t have to go to strangers’ houses.”

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.