Madawaska girls get past Hodgdon in OT

4 years ago

HODGDON, Maine — Showcasing both poise and athleticism on the soccer field, the No. 9 Madawaska Owls pulled off an exciting 2-1 overtime victory against No. 8 Hodgdon Friday evening.

In a game that marked the first overtime match of the season for the Owls (6-9 overall), Madawaska showed no signs of jitters as the extra period began. Sophomore Chantal Ackley received a through pass from Emma Pelletier with 7:51 remaining in the extra session to give the Owls the Class D North prelim victory.

“The girls fought really hard today,” Madawaska coach Thomas Gerard said. “Hodgdon gave us a really good game. Everything that I’ve heard about them was true. They were athletic and played with a lot of heart. It was a great 8-9 matchup. I love games like this because they show the true spirit of high school athletics.”

Junior Morgan Corriveau gave the Owls an early 1-0 lead as she received a pass from freshman Taylor Pelletier and lofted a tricky shot that Hodgdon goalie Autumn Ganzel could not corral six minutes into the game.

Hodgdon junior Mikyla Howland answered for the Hawks with 7:55 remaining in the first half as she scored an unassisted goal.

Neither team was able to muster a scoring drive in the second half, prompting the extra period.

Ganzel, a senior for the Hawks, made 15 saves on 17 shots, while senior Katelyn Ouellette made three saves on four shots for the Owls.

“We have come a long way this past year,” Hodgdon coach Amanda Stubbs said. “Last year, we didn’t even make the playoffs and this year we hosted a home game. I knew Madawaska played a really difficult schedule and would be tough to beat. We gave it all we had, but they were just better today.”

Hodgdon finished 9-6 overall on the year.