Top Stories

Pumpkin painting unites generations

MADAWASKA, Maine — Laughter filled the dining hall at Country Village Estates on Saturday, Oct. 5, as the fun of painting pumpkins crossed generational lines.

Local Cub Scouts from Packs 145 in Frenchville and 190 in Madawaska visited the Estates to share some craft time with the elderly residents to celebrate the fall season. 

Though none of the participating residents of County Village was kin to any of the Cubs, about half a dozen residents sat among more than a dozen Cub Scouts as they all painted pumpkins that were collected and donated by the Scouts.

Pamela Faloon, a kitchen employee of Country Village Estates and one of the Scout mothers organized the pumpkin painting to help her husband, the Scoutmaster. 

“Seeing the residents daily, and seeing their different activities, I thought to myself that the Cub Scouts needed to be more involved in the community,” Faloon said. “I knew that if I could get the Cub Scouts here somehow, the residents would enjoy visiting with them.” 

Faloon said she hopes to have more events like the pumpkin painting around other holidays. 

“It’s nice to have both generations communicating and painting together,” said Torry Millette, the activities director at Country Village Estates. “A lot of the residents didn’t even know it was a thing to paint pumpkins, so that is cool for them to see.”

One youngster, Wyatt Cote, 9, said he was having fun painting with the residents of the facility. 

“The residents were very excited to see little ones,” Millette said. “It always brings smiles to their faces.”

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.