Top Stories

New Fort Kent Cross Country Coach has Olympic potential

FORT KENT, Maine — Fort Kent Community High School’s new cross country coach, Sarah Mulcahy, is heading to the 2020 U.S. Olympic women’s marathon trials in Atlanta, Georgia in February.

Mulcahy, a math educator at Fort Kent, is a 2003 graduate of the school where she excelled academically and athletically. She was valedictorian of her high school class and participated on the tennis and volleyball teams.

Mulcahy continued to demonstrate a knack for high achievement when she graduated top of her class from St. Joseph’s College in 2007. 

Prior to taking on the cross country coaching job this year in Fort Kent, Mulcahy coached soccer, cross country and track at Westbrook Middle School. She also coached cross country at Woodland Junior-Senior High School. 

Mulcahy said she only began running herself in 2003. 

“I got into the habit recreationally for my own personal enjoyment,” she said. “It was something for me to do where I didn’t have a care or a worry and could relieve a little bit of stress. I competed for the first time in 2009 and started marathoning in 2012. Marathons are my go-to and where I feel the most comfortable and successful. I do them as training runs for other events.”

Mulcahy said her fastest personal marathon time was at the California International Marathon in 2018, which is where she qualified for the Olympic Trials with a time of 2 hours, 44 minutes, 34 seconds.

She also holds the course record for the Bay of Fundy International Marathon with a time of 2:49:18. She has won that marathon five times.

Mulcahy said she also holds the course record at the Millinocket Marathon and is the only person who has run the full Millinocket Marathon every year since it was established. A mother of two young children, Mulcahy ran  the Boston Marathon in 2014 while six months pregnant with her daughter and ran both the Mount Desert Island Marathon and the Millinocket Marathon in 2016 while pregnant with her son. 

Mulcahy lives in Fort Kent with her husband, Jonathan and the couple’s 5-year-old daughter, Olivia, and 2-year-old son, Isaiah.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.