UMFK

Madawaska gets new Parks and Rec Department director

MADAWASKA, Maine — The Madawaska Parks and Recreation Department will see some changes with the addition of Sam Cyr as the new director after a two-month search for the right person to take over the position. 

The parks and rec department serves Madawaska and its neighboring communities and provides sports, activities and programs year-round encompassing the traits of each season. 

Cyr, who graduated from the University of Maine at Fort Kent this year, also studied at the University of New England and attended Ontario Hockey Academy. 

“I am very excited to be accepting this position as Rec Department director,” Cyr said. “It means a lot to me to be servicing the community that I grew up in.”

Town Manager Gary Picard said that Cyr’s “experience in sports along with his great communication and interpersonal skills will be invaluable in his new role as the leader of the department and to the people he serves in the community.” 

“I have many great memories of the rec department as a child and want to build off and improve the existing programs, along with introducing a range of new and exciting programs for people of all ages,” Cyr said. 

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.