Limestone relives history during Renaissance Faire

5 years ago

LIMESTONE, Maine — The Limestone Community School gymnasium was transformed into a medieval marketplace during the recent Renaissance Faire, which featured a plethora of products ranging from handmade goods, food, and more mystical offerings such as Reiki, unique artwork and healing stones.

Marie Deforge stands in front of one of her original art pieces featured at her booth during the Limestone Renaissance Faire. Deforge also offered a number of items related to Reiki and spiritual healing during the May 18 event.
(Chris Bouchard)

The event even featured the Order of the Silk Road, a medieval martial arts troupe from Connecticut which demonstrated sword fighting techniques during a “Tournament of Arms” floor show.

Karralena Castaway of the Limestone Development Foundation Board and Twin Riverswood Group, two organizations primarily responsible for the faire held May 18-19, said the people who attended were all positive about the experience.

“We’ve been told that people want us to do this again,” said Castaway, adding that the next event would likely take place later next year around September.

The May 18 Limestone Renaissance Faire featured the Order of the Silk Road, a medieval martial arts troupe from Connecticut which demonstrated sword fighting techniques during a “tournament of Arms” floor show.
(Chris Bouchard)

Among the plethora of vendors was Marie Deforge, who offered paintings, jewelry and items associated with Reiki energy healing.

“I have a selection of jewelry that I have created and infused with Reiki energy healing,” she said. “I use gemstones and they have their own healing properties as well.”

Deforge said that in creating paintings she is primarily inspired by “Goddess energies, spirit animals and the divine feminine.”

“Just about all my paintings are of women,” she said.

Deforge first started painting in 2012 and became involved with Reiki in 2010, which is when she began her training to become a Reiki master teacher.

The May 18 Limestone Renaissance Faire featured the Order of the Silk Road, a medieval martial arts troupe from Connecticut which demonstrated sword fighting techniques during a “tournament of Arms” floor show.
(Chris Bouchard)

“I also do shamanic healing and teaching as well,” she said, adding that lately her focus has been on painting since moving to Aroostook County from Bowdoinham last November.

Deforge was inspired to get involved as she had always wanted to attend a Renaissance faire. She said she was particularly looking forward to the medieval reenactments taking place later in the day.

Erika Richardson came dressed in a peasant gnome dress and large gnome hat with a copper tree of life handcrafted by her late father Carter Stratton.

(Chris Bouchard)

Richardson primarily sold copper trees and Ents crafted by her father, adding that “we unfortunately just lost him in March,” and that the copper artwork present at her booth is “the last of his legacy.”

“The trees are made out of 12-gauge 19-strand copper wire,” she said, adding that her father was an industrial electrician at the East Millinocket Mill and has fashioned copper creations for “40 plus years.”

(Chris Bouchard)

As for how Deforge got involved with the event, she said Castaway contacted her and she was receptive, but originally unsure if she’d be able to attend as she has a 2-year-old son to take care of.

“Luckily, he and his dad are out playing on the playground today,” said Deforge, “which allows me to put on the gnome hat and do a little hobnobbing.”

Erika Richardson sold a variety of copper artwork created by her late father Carter Stratton during the Limestone Renaissance Faire, including this copper sculpture of an Ent.
(Chris Bouchard)