Free

St. John Valley weather for May 22-28, 2019

ST. JOHN VALLEY, Maine — A high-pressure ridge to the west and in the upper-levels will spread east across the region Wednesday and Thursday with partly cloudy to mostly clear skies developing through Thursday afternoon. Clouds increase later Thursday as a low pressure in Québec tracks towards the region and brings a chance for rain Thursday night, tapering to showers Friday morning. The Storm Prediction Center has placed the region in a “general” thunderstorm risk; however, atmospheric dynamics are not looking particularly conducive to convective activity at this time for northern Maine. Another ridge of this pressure builds in Friday night through Saturday afternoon.

High pressure brings partly cloudy skies Saturday with increasing clouds Saturday evening and a chance for rain overnight into Sunday morning as an occluded front moves through. Rain tapers to showers with a chance for thunderstorms Sunday afternoon and evening. Partly sunny skies are expected Monday as a weak cold front moves through producing a chance for mainly afternoon/evening showers and a slight chance for thunderstorms. Unsettled weather is expected Tuesday thanks to an upper-low and weak frontal boundaries over the region producing partly sunny/cloudy skies and a chance for showers Tuesday.

Daily Weather Summary

Wednesday, May 22
Cloudy/mostly cloudy this morning then decreasing clouds this afternoon. High in the mid-50s with north winds around 10 mph, with maximum gusts expected in the 15 to 20 mph range this afternoon, dropping to near calm in the evening. Tonight, partly cloudy to mostly clear with lows in the upper 30s. West/northwest winds near calm.

Thursday, May 23
Partly cloudy in the morning with northwest winds near calm becoming southerly near calm in the afternoon. High in the mid-60s. Slight chance for precipitation in the later afternoon period. Thursday night, cloudy with a 60 percent chance or rain with between 1/4 and 1/2 inch precipitation possible overnight. Low in the mid-40s with south/southeast winds 5 to 10 mph becoming easterly after midnight.

Friday, May 24
Cloudy/mostly cloudy in the morning then partly sunny to partly cloudy in the afternoon. Chance for precipitation 40 percent with less than 1/10 inch expected. High in the mid-50s with northeast winds 5 to 10 mph becoming northwesterly 0 to 5 mph in the evening. Friday night, partly cloudy with a slight chance for precipitation. Low in the lower 40s with northwest winds 0 to 7 mph.

Saturday, May 25
Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance for rain in the late afternoon/evening. High in the upper 60s with southwest winds 0 to 7 mph. Saturday night, mostly cloudy with a 70 percent chance for rain. Low in the lower 50s with south winds 8 to 14 mph.

Sunday, May 26
Mostly cloudy to cloudy with a 70 percent chance for rain in the morning with showers/thunderstorms possible in the afternoon/evening. High in the low 60s with south winds 0 to 7 mph. Sunday night, partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance for showers. Low in the mid-40s with northwest winds 0 to 7 mph.

Monday, May 27
Partly sunny with a 40 percent chance for showers and a slight chance for afternoon/evening thunderstorms. High in the low 60s with northwest winds 0 to 7 mph. Monday night, partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance for showers. Low in the lower 40s with light west winds.

Tuesday, May 28
Partly cloudy to partly sunny with a high in the low 60s. 30 percent chance for showers with west winds 8 to 14 mph. Tuesday night, mostly cloudy with a low in the lower 40s and a 20 percent chance for showers. Light northwest wind.

Note: Computer model precision diminishes the further into the week the forecast projects. Check the Fiddlehead Focus for weather updates with more current information.

The Week Ahead is the work of UMFK Professor Joseph E. Becker based on personal weather station data, various computer forecast models, and information that the National Weather Service, NOAA, and other weather resources provide.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.