Top Stories

Fire chief reminds folks to have their chimneys cleaned, following fire in Fort Kent

Fort Kent Fire Chief Ed Endee said he would like to remind folks that it is imperative to keep up on chimney cleaning after the department responded to a fire at a Market Street residence on May 1.

Volunteers for the Fort Kent Fire Department respond to a chimney fire on Market Street on Wednesday evening, May 1.
(Andrew Birden)

The 16 volunteer firefighters who responded shortly before 6 p.m. were able to thwart the fire before it caused any damage to the 181 Market Street home, which is owned by Lionel Saindon.

“It seems to be late in the season (for a chimney fire) but with the temperatures we’ve been having, people are still burning in their wood stoves,” Endee said. “This one happened to be burning some cardboard in the stove and the chimney was dirty so fire from the cardboard caught creosote in the chimney.”

Endee said firefighters cleared the scene in about an hour and no one was injured.

“Basically we cleaned the chimney and checked (if the fire extended) outside the chimney and everything was OK,” the fire chief said. “People need to keep their chimneys clean and this one was not. We instructed the homeowner to get his stovepipe and chimney professionally cleaned.”

(Andrew Birden)

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.