Top O’Maine Trade Show draws crowds to Madawaska

5 years ago

MADAWASKA, Maine — By 2 p.m. Saturday, 750 people had walked through the doors of the Multi Purpose Center in Madawaska to visit the 30th Annual Top O’Maine Trade Show.

“I could not have asked for a better turn out my first year putting it together,” said Chamber Director Jenn Collin who took over the position in October.

She said she is most proud of all of the new vendors she enlisted to participate in the two-day trade show held Saturday and Sunday.

“Customers are coming up to me telling me that they are enjoying it and that they’re having a great time,” Collin said. “They love the vendors.”  

The Multi Purpose Center was lined with booths end to end. Behind all the rows of booths was the food court where groups, like the Valley Mustangs, set up concession stands to raise money for their organizations.

Micheline Clavette completes painting the face of 4-year-old Leilani Doucette during the 30th annual Top O’Maine Trade Show in Madawaska on Saturday.
(Morgan Mitchell)

Among the more than 70 exhibitors, was a group of Amish from Easton who brought baked goods to sell from the Easton Center Bakery. Anna Yoder, 24, of Easton said they were happy to be up in Madawaska Saturday.

“We’re here to advertise our business,” Yoder said. “It’s going pretty good. I enjoy it. It’s a different place to advertise”

Locally famous Happy Tails Bakery founder Brooke, 10, and her mother Brenda Levesque occupied a booth on a prime strip of trade show floor among other local crafters like Nutritious Skin.

By 1 p.m., Saturday, Brooke said she had already seen about 50 people make their way through the doors. The young philanthropist previously has dedicated funds from the sale of her baked pet treats to animal shelters like PAWs. This year, however, she is putting money away into a college savings account in hopes of one day going to school to become a veterinarian.

Other youngsters who visited the trade show with their parents and grandparents had their faces painted by Micheline Clavette, who only accepted donations for her services.

Micheline Clavette completes painting the face of 4-year-old Leilani Doucette during the 30th annual Top O’Maine Trade Show in Madawaska on Saturday.
(Morgan Mitchell)

When 4-year-old Leilani Doucette saw the mask painted on her face by Clavette, her jaw dropped and her eyes lit up in delight.

“This is my favorite part,” Doucette giggled. “This and the balloons.”

Doucette said she was not there to help her mom shop, and her mother, Melinda Krajewski agreed. They were all there for Doucette and her sister to enjoy.

“It was really nice to watch the girls interact through all the booths at the trade show,” Krajewski said. “They are at that age where they are very curious so it’s nice to have events like the trade show, where they are able to see all the different trades in our surrounding area.”

Collin said that she was so pleased with this year that she is already looking forward to next year and improving upon her first year.

“There’s definitely going to be a few things you can find that you can do better,” she said. “There’s always room for improvement, but I think it has been wonderful.”