Crown Politics

Petition approval puts Maine on track to use ranked-choice voting in June primaries

AUGUSTA, Maine — Maine Secretary of State Matt Dunlap said Monday that ranked-choice voting will be used in the June 12 primary after his office certified a people’s veto effort that thwarted the Legislature’s attempt to cancel the election system approved by voters in 2016.

Dunlap deemed 66,687 of the approximately 77,000 submitted signatures to be valid, which means two things: Maine voters will use ranked-choice voting in the primary and concurrently vote on whether to nullify a law passed last year by legislators that at the time was seen as a death knell for ranked-choice voting.

Dick Woodbury, a former independent state senator from Yarmouth who chairs the political committee that got Maine’s first-in-the-nation system passed by voters in 2016, said he expects voters to be “so appreciative” of the chance to use ranked-choice voting that support will rise.

The Fiddlehead Focus / St. John Valley Times is pleased to feature content from our sister company, Bangor Daily News. To read the rest of “Petition approval puts Maine on track to use ranked-choice voting in June primaries,” an article by contributing Bangor Daily News staff writer Christopher Cousins, please follow this link to the BDN online.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.