Top Stories

Chimney fire, boiler smoke keep firefighters busy Wednesday morning

MADAWASKA, Maine — Firefighters with the Madawaska Fire Department were busy Wednesday morning responding to a chimney fire at one location and a suspected structure fire at another.

At about 8 a.m., Madawaska firefighters went to a home on Country Lane and quickly extinguished a chimney fire, Fire Chief Jim Soucy said.

There was no serious damage reported and no one was injured, he said.

Just as fire trucks and volunteer firefighters returned to the station, shortly after 8:30 a.m., they were called to a fire on Lakeshore Road, south of the Long Lake Country Club.

Firefighters and trucks from Madawaska, St. Agatha, Frenchville and Grand Isle responded to the scene, where a neighbor had reported a suspected structure fire at a garage. The large garage was not attached to a home.

According to Soucy, however, an outdoor boiler, inside a shed attached to the garage, had backed up. Smoke that had built up inside the shed then backed up into the garage walls, making it look as if the fire was inside the large garage, the chief said.

“It’s likely the boiler chimney was clogged,” he said.

Firefighters vented the shed and garage and made sure there was no fire in either structure, before leaving the scene about an hour later.

Approximately 25 firefighters and several trucks and tankers responded to the call on Lakeshore Road.

Although there was no actual structure fire at either location, Soucy commented that he was glad that so many volunteer firefighters were able to respond.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.