Top Stories

Firefighters fail to detect gas at suspected propane leak in Madawaska

MADAWASKA, Maine —  Firefighters and hazardous materials crews with the Madawaska Fire Department were called out Thursday morning to a suspected propane leak at Tang’s restaurant, according to Fire Chief James Soucy.

Workers removing snow from the restaurant roof thought they smelled propane and called for assistance, shortly before 8 a.m..

“We shut off the propane outside and closed off the road, just to be sure,” Soucy said Thursday afternoon.

The department’s HazMat crews used gas detectors to survey the building, but failed to detect any propane anywhere inside the restaurant, Soucy said.

Dead River Company technicians also examined the restaurant’s propane tanks, but Soucy was not aware of any malfunctions being found.

The department responded with its two HazMat vehicles and a pumper truck, along with about 10 firefighters, according to Soucy. Members of the Madawaska ambulance service also responded to the scene as a precaution.

Soucy also took the opportunity to remind residents and business owners to use caution when clearing snow off of roofs. People should make sure they do not deposit the snow onto propane or exterior oil tanks at ground level. Heavy snow or ice falling from a roof may damage propane tanks or lines, he said.

People should always make sure a path is cleared to the exterior tank, too, he added.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.