Top Stories

Spider-Man spins a web of literacy

AGATHA, Maine — More than 30 children and about 20 adults dressed as superheroes had a special visitor June 29 at the Long Lake Public Library during the library’s reading hour. 

None other than Spider-Man, played by Curtis Cyr, went to the library to read to the kids participating in the monthly event. 

“When it was time for Spider-Man to enter the room, I walked in and said “Oh my goodness! I think I just saw Spider-Man! I think he just arrived! Are you guys ready to meet Spider-Man?’” Librarian Jenna St. Onge said. “One little boy answered, “My heart is beating so fast right now!” It was so awesome to see all their expressions when Spider-Man walked into the room.” 

She added that the children didn’t think that Spider-Man could read and were surprised when he opened a book and began to read to the room.

Spider-Man also took photos with each child and their families. 

“I had fun doing it and the kids enjoyed it,” Spider-Man Cyr said. “Their faces when I popped into the room were priceless.” 

St-Onge said that the families are waiting excitedly for the next costume event — a tea party with a princess that will be announced. However, the next monthly story hour is 10-11 a.m. July 26 at the Long Lake Public Library in St. Agatha. 

“We are very lucky to have such supportive families who attend our Library events,” she said. 

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.