UMFK

Fort Kent artist designs town’s 150th anniversary logo

FORT KENT, Maine — When freelance artist Erin Chasse was approached by town manager Suzie Paradis to create a design representing Fort Kent on the eve of the town’s 150th anniversary celebration, Chasse immediately got to work. 

“I love Fort Kent and I love this community,” Chasse said. 

Chasse, 22, drew from her childhood growing up in the town and asked newcomers to Fort Kent for their feedback in order to formulate her design. 

“When I think of Fort Kent I think of the Blockhouse,” Chasse said. “I’ve sketched it since I was little.” 

“I asked friends who come here to the University of Maine at Fort Kent what they thought represents Fort Kent and they said a valley, nature, rivers and bridges,” Chasse added.

The result is a logo that encompasses all of those elements, and also includes a U.S. Route 1 sign representing America’s First Mile.

Fort Kent was incorporated as a town in 1869. Organizers are planning for a weeklong celebration of the town’s 150th anniversary which will take place in August and will include activities such as fireworks, a parade, musicians, food vendors and much more. 

Chasse is a 2015 Fort Kent Community High School graduate who specializes in freehand portrait work.  

While a senior at high school, Chasse won a districtwide contest for which she designed a new logo depicting a Spartan soldier to replace Native American imagery, which previously represented the school’s “Warrior” mascot.

Chasse has been employed at Pelletier’s Florist, Greenhouse and Garden Center in Fort Kent for the past three years where she specializes in floral design. 

She said she is most looking forward to attending a streetdance during the Fort Kent 150th celebration, at which her father will perform with his classic rock and blues band, Boomerang. 

Erin’s parents are Dr. Dan and Christina Chasse of Fort Kent. 

The young artist will attend New Brunswick College of Craft and Design in Fredericton beginning this fall. 

Erin Chasse can be reached at erinanne.chasse@gmail.com . Information about the town’s sesquicentennial celebration, visit the Fort Kent 150 Years Facebook page. 

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.