UMFK

Second-graders rock the runway at Earth Day inspired fashion show

FORT KENT, Maine — Students in Stacy Belanger’s second-grade class at Fort Kent Elementary School educated, inspired and entertained audiences at the fifth annual Trash to Treasure Fashion Show on Friday, May 17, at the University of Maine at Fort Kent Fox Auditorium.

Each year, the students design innovative costumes from disposable materials to honor Earth Day and demonstrate their creativity. They then wear the costumes as they walk the “runway” at Fox Auditorium during two shows consisting of an audience of their peers and another populated by family, friends and community members.

This year’s costume designs included a snowmobile, monster truck, a box of Milkbone dog treats, a rotary phone, a cardboard version of the book “Charlotte’s Web” and Noah’s Ark.

“I was very pleased with the outcome of the show. We had a great turnout with lots of positive feedback in regards to the students’ performance,” Belanger said. “The costumes were exquisitely crafted and it was evident the work that was involved in creating each one. I was blown away by the creativity.”

Among these creative costumes was a large boat, or rather ark, which student Troy Celik, 7, wore around his waist. Celik dressed as the biblical Noah, and his ark had attached to it numerous pairs of animal figurines including elephants, giraffes and alligators.

The youngster’s parents, Nuri and Bridget Celik, helped him construct the costume out of cardboard, contact paper and wood.

“All religions share a belief in Noah’s Ark — Muslim, Jewish and Christian,” Nuri Celik said.

Logan Thibodeau, 8, wore a more modern costume — a monster truck.

“I like monster trucks. When it jumps it smashes cars,” Thibodeau said.

Thibodeau added that his mom and dad helped him construct the costume.

“The fins were paper and the rest was cardboard,” he said.

All of the students who took to the Fox Auditorium stage beamed with pride as audience members cheered them on.

“I hope they have gained a new sense of accomplishment and confidence,” Belanger said.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.