Top Stories

Applications available for farmers market in Madawaska

MADAWASKA, Maine — Vendors and visitors alike will soon be able to enjoy the farmers market pavilion again with the warmer months in sight and applications for vendors available starting May 1.

Town officials hired Acadian Builders to construct the pavilion last year after receiving a $49,500 rural development grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 2017. Such grants are limited and Madawaska was among a select few awarded funds that year, former Economic Development Director Suzie Paradis said at the time.

The official season will start May 15 and go until Oct. 1 with the farmers market open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week. Membership will cost $5 per day, $10 per week, $20 per month or $35 for the season.

There are a few new bylaws since the pavilion was completed last August. Among them, vendors are now required to be in attendance for 75 percent of the market days for which they apply.

Space under the shaded pavilion roof is limited to eight 10-foot by 10-foot spots. The town will still accommodate other vendors outside the pavilion for the farmers market and will provide up to three tables to participants, according to current economic development director, Keith Cyr.

“I feel as though we have so many talented artisans and farmers in our area, so I’m excited that the Town of Madawaska has a place for them to showcase their goods,” Cyr said. “I look forward to a great summer at the market.”

Anyone interested in selling their products should contact Cyr at 207-728-3612 or email him at keithcyr@madawaska.me.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.