Fire destroys Van Buren home; resident treated for smoke inhalation
VAN BUREN, Maine — A Van Buren man lost all of his belongings when fire destroyed the home he was living in on Wednesday evening.
“With sub zero temperatures, the house was engulfed in heavy black and grey smoke and flashed over minutes after” firefighters arrived at the residence located at 1007 West Main Street shortly before 8:30 p.m., Fire Chief Brian Caron reported on the Van Buren Fire Department Facebook page on Thursday.
He declared the house owned by Bob Streck “a total loss.”
The sole occupant of the single family dwelling, Steve Morin, managed to escape from the burning home, but members of the Van Buren Ambulance service transported him to Cary Medical Center in Caribou to be treated for smoke inhalation, Caron reported. Morin did not need to be admitted, the chief added.
Firefighters have not yet determined the cause of the fire but the state fire marshal’s office will be examining the remnants.
Caron said the fire department is collecting donations of clothing for Morin, who wears pants size 34/30, men’s large shirts and size 9 shoes or boots. Anyone with donations of clothing or money can drop them off at the VBFD after 6 p.m. on Dec. 27, or send a message to the VBFD Facebook page.
The fire department has notified the Red Cross, according to the Facebook post.
In his post, the chief also thanked members of the area fire departments and other agencies who provided mutual aid or otherwise assisted at the scene, including firefighters from St. Leonard, New Brunswick, and Grand Isle, and members of the local police, ambulance and utilities services, as well as U.S. Border Patrol agents and workers from the Maine Department of Transportation.