Top Stories

No charges filed yet in Fort Kent homicide case

FORT KENT, Maine — Police have yet to charge anyone in the shooting death of a Fort Kent man last month.

Daren Charette, 49, died from a single gunshot wound in his basement apartment at 485 West Main Street on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

On Monday, Nov. 26,  Lt. Troy Gardner of the Maine State Police major crimes unit held a press conference at the Fort Kent town office where he announced that police were investigating Charette’s death as a homicide.

“Based on the information we have at this point we believe that no more than one other person was involved in the shooting,” Gardner said at the press conference. “We have talked to that person. We do not believe that there is an ongoing threat to the public at this time.”

Gardner declined to name that person or to provide any further information about the individual, including about gender or relationship to the victim.

Gardner said at the time that police planned to investigate the shooting in a coordinated effort with the Maine attorney general’s office and that once the investigation was complete, a decision would be made as to whether charges would be filed.

Gardner and the attorney general’s office have not returned several calls seeking comment on the case.

But on Wednesday, Dec.19, state police spokesman Steve McCausland responded to an email stating that there are “no new developments.”

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.