Top Stories

Fire call prompts reminder to install working carbon monoxide alarms

FORT KENT, Maine — Volunteer firefighters with the Fort Kent Fire Department responded to a caller’s report of a sounding carbon monoxide alarm at a Fort Kent residence just before 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The firefighters tested the building at 380 St. John Road and found the carbon monoxide levels in the home to be within normal range and the alarm to be faulty, according to Fire Chief Ed Endee.

Now that summer has slipped away in northern Maine and residents have their furnaces operating, folks should be sure to have functional carbon monoxide detectors in place, he said.

“If you have an attached garage and a car is running in the garage that could be a problem for you too,” Endee said.

CO detectors “are very important, just like smoke detectors,” the chief said. “The batteries on CO alarms should be checked whenever you check your smoke detector batteries.”

Carbon monoxide fumes are both odorless and tasteless, so people can be overcome by the fumes without even realizing there is a problem.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, more than 400 people die and around 4,000 are hospitalized annually due to unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning.

For more information about carbon monoxide poisoning, visit the CDC website.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.