Top Stories

Eagle Lake teen bags bull moose on opening day

EAGLE LAKE, Maine — The Maine moose hunt got off to a good start for an Eagle Lake teen who bagged a hefty bull on opening day.

Jared Dube, 16, dropped a 730 pound bull with a 38 inch spread just after 8 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 24.

Dube’s hunting party included his father, Patrick Dube Jr., and a few family friends.

“He was smiling, jumping up and down, yelling, but I think I was more excited than he was,” Patrick Dube Jr. said of his son’s successful hunt. “I mean, it was just like a dream come true.”

The proud dad is no stranger to Maine moose hunts himself.

“I’ve shot two,” Dube Jr. said. “I was drawn two times — in 2011 I got a cow moose and in 2015 a bull moose; I’ve been pretty lucky.”

This was Jared Dube’s first draw in the state’s moose hunt lottery, although the youngster has enjoyed hunting trips with his dad for grouse and rabbit since he was 11 years-old.  

“It was his first big game animal,” Dube Jr. said of his son.

The teen bagged his first moose in the Blackstone area.

“We seen it at the end down a road,” Dube Jr. said. “We were just driving to get to a spot. We called it in with a cow call. Jared went in the woods and waited for it to come out closer to us on the side of the road. It walked from 250 yards out to us within about 25 yards. That’s when Jared shot it from stepping out onto the road, about a 20 yard shot. It was exciting to see it come closer and closer and closer.”

Jared will have a physical reminder of his first moose hunt for all time.

“We already brought it to Steve Jandreau in Portage at Wildlife Artistry to get the antlers mounted,” Dube Jr. said.

The family also is looking forward to enjoying a freezer full of moose meat, according to Dube Jr.

Jared lives in Eagle Lake with his father, his mother, Stacy Dube, and twin brother Andrew.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.