Free

LePage says he’ll deny applicants until Medicaid expansion is funded

Maine Gov. Paul LePage said he’ll deny applications for aid under a voter-approved Medicaid expansion until lawmakers provide funding under his terms.

The Republican governor told The Associated Press that everything would be “fine” if lawmakers provide the funding.

Nearly three out of five Maine voters last November supported expanding Medicaid to an additional 70,000 to 80,000 low-income residents starting July 2.

The LePage administration was forced to submit a Medicaid expansion planthis month under a court order. But LePage also urged the federal government to reject the plan.

LePage’s administration previously declined comment on its plans for handling Medicaid applicants. Advocacy group Maine Equal Justice Partners is suing the state and has shared a copy of a letter from a Mainer denied Medicaid expansion.

To read the rest of “LePage says he’ll deny applicants until Medicaid expansion is funded,” an article by contributing The Associated Press, please follow this link to the BDN online.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.