Apex Weather

St. John Valley Weather for August 1–7, 2018

Surface high pressure over New Hampshire and Vermont will bring mostly clear skies and warm temperatures to northern Maine today into Wednesday. High-pressure will set up off the US East Coast by midweek channeling increasingly warm and humid air into the region as the week progresses. A warm front will lift northwards through New England Wednesday into Thursday producing a chance for showers and thunderstorms—some with heavy downpours thanks to abundant moisture aloft. A weak cold front will approach from the west/northwest with a chance for afternoon/evening thunderstorms Friday and Saturday. Warm and humid conditions continue Sunday into Monday with a weak trough aloft producing a slight chance for showers both days. Mid-Atlantic high-pressure moves further out to sea Monday and Tuesday with dropping humidity levels by midweek.

Daily Weather Summary

Wednesday, August 1: High: 80. Low: 65.

Day: Mostly cloudy in the morning then cloudy in the afternoon with a 40 percent chance for showers and thunderstorms. Heavy downpours possible. Increasingly humid with south winds 5 to 10 mph. Night: Cloudy with a 60 percent chance for showers and thunderstorms with heavy downpours possible. Around one-quarter inch with locally higher amounts rainfall possible. Decreasing clouds after midnight with south/southwest winds around 5 mph.

Thursday, August 2: High: 80. Low: 65.

Day: Partly cloudy, warm, humid with a 60 percent chance for showers and thunderstorms.    Between one-tenth and one-quarter inch rainfall with locally higher amounts possible. West/southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Night: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance for showers Light west/southwest winds.

Friday, August 3: High: 83. Low: 63.

Day: Partly cloudy in the morning then partly sunny in the afternoon with a 30 percent chance for afternoon/evening showers/thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Humid with light west winds. Night: Partly cloudy, warm, and humid with light west winds.

Saturday, August 4: High: 85. Low: 65.

Day: Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance for showers and afternoon/evening thunderstorms. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Light west/southwest winds. Night: Partly and humid with a slight chance for showers. Light southwest winds.

Sunday, August 5: High: 87. Low: 67.

Day: Partly cloudy, hot, and humid with light southwest winds and a 20 percent chance for mainly afternoon/evening showers. Night: Partly cloudy with a slight chance for showers. Light west/southwest winds.

Monday, August 6: High: 85. Low:68.

Day: Partly cloudy, hot and humid with a slight chance for showers in the morning. Partly sunny in the afternoon with a 30 percent chance for showers. Light west/southwest winds. Night: Partly cloudy and humid with a 40 percent chance for scattered thunderstorms. Light west/southwest winds.

Tuesday, August 7: High: 85. Low: 66.

Day: Partly cloudy and less humid with a 20 percent chance for showers. Light south/southwest winds. Night: Partly cloudy with a 50 percent chance for isolated/scattered showers/thunderstorms. Light west/southwest winds.

Note: Computer model precision diminishes the further into the week the forecast projects. Check the Fiddlehead Focus for weather updates with more current information.

The Week Ahead is the work of UMFK Professor Joseph E. Becker based on personal weather station data, various computer forecast models, and information that the National Weather Service, NOAA, and other weather resources provide.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.