Top Stories

Lions raise $2,000 for local causes with Cornhole Tournament

FORT KENT, Maine — A man and woman from Yarmouth proved to have a talent for tossing small bags filled with corn kernels when they defeated 25 other two-person teams at the first annual Cornhole Tournament which the Fort Kent Lions Club hosted on Saturday, June 16.

Abbey Gillis (left) and John Clavette (not pictured) of Yarmouth became the Cornhole Tournament champions on Saturday when the Fort Kent Lions Club hosted the fundraising event. Shown competing against Gillis is Mike Voisine. (Jessica Potila | SJVT/FhF)

John Clavette, who is originally from Madawaska, and Abbey Gillis won $1,000 for taking first place in the tournament, which also served as a fundraiser. The Lions raised $2,000 from the event, which the club will use to support local causes.

Cornhole or bean bag toss is similar to horseshoes except competitors use wooden boxes called cornhole platforms and bags filled with corn kernels or beans instead of horseshoes and metal stakes, according to the American Cornhole Association.

“I was surprised to see the amount of people that didn’t know about the game, but after this weekend, I think people will be already practicing for next year,” said Lion Lance Morin, chairman of the Cornhole Tournament committee.

Morin said that although it was the Lions first time hosting a cornhole competition, the event was a success.

“We were hoping for a full 32 team bracket, but for the first year, 26 teams is awesome and I have a hunch that this will only keep growing from here on out,” he said. “I had the vision of this being a great time, and I feel like mostly everybody enjoyed themselves.”

Dozens of spectators with cold drinks in hand appeared to enjoy themselves as they sat in the sunshine watching the cornhole competitors while DJ Brandon Hartt played music.

The team of Yvon and Joey Levesque of Madawaska won $500 for taking second place in the tournament. Third place winners Derek and Lloyd Bonenfant won $100.

Irving, Huber, Central Building Supply, and Pelletier Motors sponsored the tournament.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.