Fire destroys car in St. Agatha
ST. AGATHA, Maine — Flames destroyed a car in St. Agatha Thursday afternoon, shortly after the driver returned home from a trip to Presque Isle.
After a passerby reported seeing a Toyota on fire at 234 Cleveland Road at 1:07 p.m. Thursday, firefighters arrived and quickly hosed the flames down with a water and foam mixture, according to St. Agatha Fire Department Chief Bob Guerrette.
The male owner of the vehicle, who the chief did not identify, had parked the car in front of his residence on Cleveland Road after returning from a trip to Presque Isle.
“The owner had just got back from Presque Isle and could smell a little bit of gasoline while driving but didn’t think anything of it. The fire happened about 20 minutes or so after he got home,” Guerrette said.
The cause of the fire most likely was a fuel leak in the vehicle, the chief said.
No firefighters or other persons were injured as a result of the fire and damage was contained to the vehicle.
The firefighters cleared the scene at around 2 p.m.