Top Stories

Smoke draws firefighters to Circle K in Fort Kent

FORT KENT, Maine — Two dozen firefighters with three fire engines quickly responded to a fire call at the Circle K convenience store and gas station on West Main Street at about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Fortunately, the crews found no flames and no one was injured.

Fort Kent Fire Chief Ed Endee said that someone in the store had witnessed smoke in the building, which was gone by the time firefighters arrived.

The chief suspects the cause of the smoke was a malfunction in the heating and ventilation system at the Circle K.

Firefighters climbed onto the roof of the building to examine the heating and air units. Endee said it is common in commercial buildings for the units to be on top of the building, and that when the units malfunction, smoke will often seep through the ductwork into the building.

“We could never determine the source so we shut the (heating and ventilation) systems down and instructed (Circle K employees) to call their service people to come check them out,” Endee said.

The firefighters cleared the scene at 6:29 p.m.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.