Apex Weather

St. John Valley weather for April 18-24

Low pressure which brought precipitation to the Valley Monday night and Tuesday will move into the Maritimes Wednesday with decreasing chances for precipitation. The upper-level low associated with the system will move across the region Wednesday with a chance for scattered showers.

Mostly cloudy skies Wednesday night and Thursday morning will thicken as an area of low pressure zips from the Midwest into the Atlantic east of Cape Cod. This system brings rain Thursday afternoon that mixes with snow Thursday night before ending as a period of snow Friday morning with 2-3 inches wet snow across the Valley. Rain and snow showers taper off Friday afternoon and evening as high pressure builds east from the Great Lakes.

Skies gradually clear Saturday with partly cloudy to mostly clear skies across the SJV Sunday through Tuesday with temperatures finally approaching seasonal norms.

Daily Weather Summary

Wednesday, April 18: High: 42. Low: 29. Day: Overcast with a 20 percent chance for precipitation. West/northwest winds 0 to 5 mph. Night: Cloudy early then becoming mostly cloudy after midnight. Northwest winds 0 to 5 mph.

Thursday, April 19: High: 42. Low: 30. Day: Mostly cloudy in the morning then cloudy in the afternoon with a 40 percent chance for rain showers. North/northeast winds increasing to 5 to 10 mph. Night: Cloudy with a 60 percent chance for rain and snow. Accumulations of 2 to 3 inches possible. North/northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.

Friday, April 20: High: 39. Low: 26. Day: Cloudy with snow likely in the morning tapering to snow showers mixing with rain in the afternoon. Chance for precipitation 50 percent. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Night: Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance for snow showers. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday, April 21: High: 42. Low: 25. Day: Mostly cloudy in the morning then partly sunny in the afternoon. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Night: Partly cloudy with northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday, April 22: High: 48. Low: 26. Day: Mostly sunny with northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Night: Mostly clear with northwest winds 0 to 5 mph.

Monday, April 23: High: 52. Low: 30. Day: Mostly clear with northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Night: Mostly clear with winds becoming southwest 0 to 5 mph.

Tuesday, April 24: High: 56. Low: 36. Day: Partly cloudy with southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Night: Partly cloudy with southwest winds around 5 mph.

Note: Computer model precision diminishes the further into the week the forecast projects. Check the Fiddlehead Focus for weather updates with more current information.

The Week Ahead is the work of UMFK Professor Joseph E. Becker based on personal weather station data, various computer forecast models, and information that the National Weather Service, NOAA, and other weather resources provide.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.