Apex Weather

St. John Valley weather for Jan. 31-Feb. 6

High pressure brings partly cloudy to mostly clear skies to northern Aroostook Wednesday. Clouds increase Wednesday night ahead of an approaching warm front associated with a low pressure system over the Great Lakes. Snow Wednesday night tapers to snow showers Thursday ahead of a cold front that brings a chance of snow Thursday night and Friday. High pressure brings partly cloudy skies Saturday followed by increasing clouds and a chance for snow Sunday as another low pressure moves towards and across the region. Some lingering snow showers are possible Monday as partly cloudy skies develop and very cold air settles in to the SJV through Tuesday.

Daily Weather Summary

Wednesday, January 31: High: 13. Low: 5. Day: Mostly sunny and cold. Northwest winds around 10 mph become southerly. 20 percent chance for snow in the evening. Night: Cloudy with snow likely with an 80 percent chance for precipitation. 1-2 inches accumulation possible. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday, February 1: High: 27. Low: 13. Day: Cloudy with a 50 percent chance for snow showers. 1 to 2 inches possible. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Night: Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance for snow/snow showers. West/southwest winds around 5 mph.

Friday, February 2: High: 19. Low: -15. Day: Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance for snow / snow showers. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Night: Turning partly cloudy and very cold with wind chill values to -30 degrees possible. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday, February 3: High: 0. Low: -14. Day: Partly cloudy and very cold with wind chills -15 to -20 degrees. West/northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Night: Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance for snow, mainly after midnight. Accumulations around one inch possible. Southerly winds 5 to 10 mph with wind chill values to -20 degrees.

Sunday, February 4: High: 16. Low: -10. Day: Mostly cloudy with a 60 percent chance for snow / snow showers. Accumulations around one inch possible. Southwest winds around 5 to 10 mph.  Night: Mostly cloudy early then becoming partly cloudy towards morning. Northwest winds 0 to 5 mph with wind chill values to -20 degrees.

Monday, February 5: High: 11. Low: -5. Day: Partly cloudy to mostly clear and cold. West/northwest winds around 5 mph. Night: Partly cloudy to mostly clear and cold. Westerly winds around 5 mph with wind chill values -15 to -20 degrees.

Tuesday, February 6: High: 13. Low: 0. Day: Partly cloudy to mostly clear and cold. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.  Night: Skies become mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance for snow showers after midnight. Southwest winds 0 to 5 mph.

Note: Computer model precision diminishes the further into the week the forecast projects. Check the Fiddlehead Focus for weather updates with more current information.

The Week Ahead is the work of UMFK Professor Joseph E. Becker based on personal weather station data, various computer forecast models, and information that the National Weather Service, NOAA, and other weather resources provide.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.