Van Buren firefighters use heat camera to locate, put out fire
VAN BUREN — Firefighters were able to quickly locate and extinguish a dryer fire at a home on High Street late Friday morning thanks to a heat sensing camera.
“It was contained to the basement and quickly extinguished due to the camera picking up the location through the smoke,” Van Buren Fire Chief Brian Caron said Friday evening.
The department purchased the thermal imaging camera this summer with Federal Emergency Management Agency grant funds.
The sole occupant, William Sullivan, was outside the home finishing up some shoveling when he opened his door and the house was full of black smoke, according to Caron.
The dryer was located in the basement and firefighters were able to contain the fire to the dryer and limit damage mainly to the basement.
Caron said there was “major smoke damage,” to the basement, but no injuries.
A crew from the Van Buren Water District helped firefighters by clearing out a nearby fire hydrant, the chief said. Members of the Van Buren police and ambulance departments also assisted.