Apex Weather

St. John Valley weather for Dec. 20-26

Canadian high pressure will build in on breezy northwest winds Wednesday and bring partly cloudy skies and cold temperatures to the Valley Wednesday through Friday. Temperatures warm as a low pressure system brings a chance for snow Saturday, mixing with rain late, with rain and snow showers lingering into Sunday morning. High pressure brings partly cloudy skies Sunday before clouds increase Christmas Eve ahead of another system that brings clouds and a chance for snow Christmas Day. High pressure brings partly cloudy and colder conditions Tuesday. The Winter Solstice occurs at 11:28 am Thursday, December 21 with only 8 hours 28 minutes of daylight for northern Maine on the shortest day of the year.

Daily Weather Summary

Wednesday, December 20: High: 23. Low: 5. Day: Partly cloudy and cold. Breezy with northwest winds 10-20 mph gusting to 30 mph. Wind chill values to -10F. Night: Partly cloudy and breezy with northwest winds 10-15 mph. Wind chill values to -15F.

Thursday, December 21: High: 11. Low: -7. Day: Partly cloudy and cold with northwest winds 5-10 mph. Night: Partly cloudy and cold with northwest winds 5-10 mph.

Friday, December 22: High: 10. Low: 5. Day: Partly cloudy and cold with increasing clouds later with a 40 percent chance for snow / snow showers. Northwest winds 0-5 mph. Night: Mostly cloudy to overcast with a 60 percent chance for snow. Southeast winds 0-5 mph.

Saturday, December 23 High: 30. Low: 19. Day: Cloudy with a 70 percent chance for snow mixing with sleet/rain in the afternoon/evening. 5-8 inches possible. Southeast winds 5-10 mph. Night: A 40 percent chance for snow/wintry mix tapering off after midnight. Southwest winds 5-10 mph.

Sunday, December 24: High: 25. Low: 7. Day: Mostly to partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance for snow showers. West winds 5-10 mph.  Night: Becoming mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance for snow showers. North winds 0-5 mph.

Monday, December 25: High: 20. Low: 10. Day: Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming clouds with a 50 percent chance for snow. East/northeast winds 5-10 mph. Night: Cloudy with a 70 percent chance for snow before midnight. Then becoming mostly cloudy after midnight. Northwest winds 5-10 mph.

Tuesday, December 26: High: 17. Low: -7. Day: Partly cloudy and cold with west winds 5-10 mph. Night: Partly cloudy and very cold with northwest winds 5-10 mph.

Note: Computer model precision diminishes the further into the week the forecast projects. Check the Fiddlehead Focus for weather updates with more current information.

The Week Ahead is the work of UMFK Professor Joseph E. Becker based on personal weather station data, various computer forecast models, and information that the National Weather Service, NOAA, and other weather resources provide.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.