Top Stories

St. Francis boy, 12, a community asset

ST. FRANCIS, Maine — Not many 12-year-old boys volunteer for the community while working  a part-time job and running two home businesses, but Connor Pelletier of St. Francis does. 

Pelletier is a Friends of St. Francis volunteer, works at his hometown eatery, The Forget Me Not Diner, runs a photography business, Country Getup Photography, and creates and sells primitive crafts.

The soon-to-be seventh-grader at Valley Rivers Middle School also served as president of his sixth-grade student council at Fort Kent Elementary School and won a Future of Maine College Aspirations Scholarship.

The ambitious young man said his busy lifestyle is one of his own choosing.

“I just get bored sitting around, so I try to find things that need to get done,” he said.

Pelletier has been a volunteer with the community betterment group Friends of St. Francis since January of this year. He began working with the group after responding to a FOSF Facebook post requesting help cataloguing books for the new library.

“I would help label books and put them on the shelf in the correct order,” Pelletier said.

President of FOSF, Cindy Jandreau, said Pelletier is an asset to his community.

“Connor is a very nice, polite young man, He is a very kind and gentle human being. He gives of his time freely to make others’ lives better,” she said. “He has volunteered many, many hours to help set up the St. Francis Library and get it opened. He volunteers for the Friends of St. Francis. He has headed the games for the kids at family fun day. He and his mother spent many hours helping with the talent show.”

“I volunteer because it makes me feel like I am doing something good for myself and the people around me. It just something that I love to do. It makes me happy,” Pelletier said.

At the Forget Me Not Diner, Pelletier serves in all aspects of customer service.

“I am the waiter and cashier. I greet them when they walk in and I take their orders. I bring their food to them and cash them out. I also answer the phone when it rings for takeout orders,” he said.

Pelletier also creates and sells rustic crafts. Through Country Getup Photography, he has photographed the Fort Kent Community High School 2017 prom and shot some graduation photos.  

“I love that I can express my creative side not only in crafting but in photography. I can show how I see things (through) my camera,” he said.

As a young man four years away from being able to drive, Pelletier appreciates the support he receives from those in his life willing to help transport him to the many activities he is so passionate about.

“My mom or dad will drive me,” he said. “Sometimes one of the members, Carla Albert, would come pick me up to work at the library every Saturday for four months and we would stop and go eat some pizza and come back and continue where we started. I’m very grateful for Carla and what she has done for me.”

Pelletier said his greatest passion is for singing. He competed in the 2017 Northern Star where he sang “A Million Reasons,” by Lady GaGa. He hopes to relay his passion for music into a future career.

“I want to be a singer. And win a Grammy but if that doesn’t work out, I am also interested in a business degree or work at the FBI and places like that. I always watch shows on that and It looks pretty interesting,” he said

In the meantime, Pelletier said he hopes to continue volunteering with FOSF.

“I really think they enjoy me there and I really enjoy being there,” he said.

It seems he is correct, at least according to Jandreau.

“He is a go-getter. I am very proud to know Connor. He is a very awesome kid,” she said.

Pelletier’s parents are Mitchell and Michelle Pelletier. He has an older brother, Austin, and a younger brother, Jaxon. He also has two cats, named Hoodie and Dypstyck.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.