Top Stories

Faulty Co2 alarm draws firefighters to Fort Kent home Monday morning

FORT KENT, Maine — Fort Kent firefighters responded shortly before 8 a.m. Monday to a carbon monoxide alarm at a home on Pinkham Avenue.

The cause was a faulty Co2 monitor, and there was no carbon monoxide or smoke inside the home of Lucas and Amy Levesque, according to Fire Chief Ed Endee.

“We metered the whole place and found nothing,” said Endee. The chief said it was not old batteries in this case, but a sensor that simply went bad. “It happens sometimes. They have a limited lifespan.”

Many homes now have carbon monoxide detectors installed. While most people assume the odorless gas travels from garages and basements only through stairwells  and hallways, a 2015 report from the Fire Protection Research Foundation indicates the potentially lethal gas also can seep through porous walls, such as gypsum.

The Maine Fire Marshal’s office recommends people change the batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms twice per year.  A good way to remember is to change batteries with each time zone change, in the fall and spring. In many cases, local fire departments can provide fresh batteries or assist with installing detectors.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.