Police & Fire

Firefighters respond to a report of ‘odor of smoke’ inside home

FORT KENT, Maine —  Nearly 20 firefighters responded to an early evening call at 108 St. John Road, in Fort Kent, Monday, April 17.

According to Fort Kent Fire Chief Ed Endee, a report of “odor of smoke in the building” came in shortly before 9:30 p.m. at the residence of Jade Begin.

Endee said firefighters “detected a slight odor” upon arrival, but the reported haze inside the home had gone.

“We (gas) metered the the building and found nothing,” Ende said via telephone Tuesday morning.

Responders checked the perimeter of the building as well as the interior, and found no suspected places where the odor may have come from. Endee said the occupants had working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, but none had been triggered.

Because the initial report came as smoke inside the building, Endee said the department responded with multiple engines, its ladder truck and its heavy rescue vehicle. After finding nothing of note and deeming the scene to be safe, firefighters left the home in less than an hour, Endee said.

Even though the call turned out not to be an actual emergency, Endee said it is always better to be safe, and added that in-home detectors are an excellent safety precaution.
“We always recommend people have working detectors and replace the batteries as needed,” the chief said.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.