Hill Climb powers SnoRiders to $5,000
FORT KENT, Maine — The recent Snowmobile Hill Climb at Lonesome Pine Trails raised $5,000 for the Fort Kent SnoRiders Snowmobile Club.
The group will put the money toward the purchase of a new grooming tractor, according to SnoRiders Treasurer Allen Chamberland. The SnoRiders also have another machine which serves as their primary trail groomer.
“We’re hoping to replace our New Holland tractor to something newer,” he said. “We groom all the way to Cross Lake now so we have to have both machines up and running.”
The racer with the most first-place finishes in the April 8 competition was Tyler Corriveau of Fort Kent.
Corriveau, who rode on a 2011 Arctic Cat Sno Pro 600, took first in the 600cc, 700cc, 800cc, and 900cc stock car races, the 700cc and 800cc modified races and the local legend/outlaws race. He has competed in the Hill Climb since its inception three years ago.
“My strategy for winning was to stay calm and have fun,” he said. “I like the hill climb race because it is challenging and fun, especially racing against my friends.”
Chamberland said that in order to hold the Hill Climb the SnoRiders hired Sash Engineering to design the course. This was a requirement in order to obtain a permit from the state. They also contributed money to defray some of the $2 million cost of liability insurance for the racers.
Chamberland said about 350 spectators attended this year’s Hill Climb. He added a special thank you to the sponsors who contributed to the event, and without whom, the Hill Climb would not have been a success.
“If it wouldn’t have been for the sponsors, there’s no way we could have pulled this off,” Chamberland said.
Hill Climb Sponsors:
Varney Agency, Irving Woodlands, CNA Trucking, Corriveau Arctic Cat, TnT Road Company, NorState Federal Credit Union, Plourde Masonry, DR Logging, Rocks Diner, Northland Forest Service, Roy Auto Parts, Pelletier Motors, Valley Motors, Jacob Ouellette Logging, John’s Shurfine, Daigle and Houghton, Camel Brook Camps, St. Peter’s Country Store, M and M’s Service Station, Fort Kent Powersports, Daigle Oil, Danny Plourde Trucking, Plourde, Morneault and Dubay, Mike’s and Sons, Dale Plourde Logging, Irving Woodlands, S.W. Collins, Roger’s Sport Center, Trackdown Lodge, Northern Door Inn, Dale Blier, Nortrax and Mike Voisine.
Hill Climb winners (courtesy of Jim Rioux) include:
– 500cc 1st place Brandon Ouellette and 2nd place Joe Pelletier
– 600cc 1st place Tyler Corriveau, 2nd place Joe Pelletier and 3rd place Derrick Rioux.
– 700cc 1st place Tyler Corriveau, 2nd place Brandon Ouellette and 3rd place Casey Savage.
– 800cc 1st place Tyler Corriveau, 2nd place Joe Pelletier and 3rd place Brandon Pelletier.
– 900cc 1st place Tyler Corriveau, 2nd place Joe Pelletier and 3rd place Casey Savage.
– 120cc 1st place Katherine Michaud, 2nd place Trace Brewer and 3rd place Jake O’Clair.
– Juniors 1st place Logan Deschaine, 2nd place Cameron Butler and 3rd place Brandon Thibeault.
– Ladies 1st place Rachel Lane and 2nd place Cheryl Thibeault.
– 500cc 1st place Joe Pelletier and 2nd place Brandon Ouellette.
– 600cc 1st place Brandon Ouellette, 2nd place Sam Heckman and 3rd place Jessey Kirouac.
– 700cc 1st place Tyler Corriveau, 2nd place Joe Pelletier and 3rd place Brandon Ouellette.
– 800cc 1st place Tyler Corriveau, 2nd place Joe Pelletier and 3rd place Joshua O’Clair.
– 900cc 1st place Joe Pelletier, 2nd place Tyler Corriveau and 3rd place Brandon Ouellette.
Local Legends/Outlaw Class
1st place Tyler Corriveau, 2nd place Brandon Ouellette and 3rd place Joshua O’Clair.