Police & Fire

Faulty power strip blamed in fatal Presque Isle fire

PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — The Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office has released the cause of Friday’s fire on Edgemont Drive in Presque Isle.

According to Sargent Scott Richardson, what resulted in the destruction of a 28 Edgemont Drive duplex, across from Northern Maine Community College campus, was an overloaded electrical power strip.

65-year-old Donna Boodoo and 60-year-old James Coolidge were home at the time of the April 7 fire. Boodoo made it out a window just before Presque Isle Fire Department crews arrived on scene.

Battling the blaze quickly turned into a rescue mission as firefighters learned Coolidge was still inside. They found Coolidge outside his bedroom. He was rushed to TAMC where he died due to smoke inhalation.

There is no update on whether Boodoo has been released from the hospital.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.