Maine court told to reconsider police role in deadly 2015 rampage
BOSTON, Mass. — A U.S. appeals court on Wednesday ordered a Maine federal court to reconsider whether state police violated a woman’s rights when they notified her ex-boyfriend by voicemail that he had been accused of sexually assaulting her, sparking a violent rampage.
The case revolves around a July 2015 incident when a woman called police to report that a former boyfriend, Anthony Lord, had abducted her and sexually assaulted her. She asked police not to notify him of her claim, saying that he had threatened retribution.
State police left Lord a voicemail giving details of the woman’s accusations and asking him to come in for questioning. Lord responded by breaking into the woman’s parents’ home, fatally shooting her current boyfriend, shooting and wounding her mother and abducting her. He killed a second person while trying to escape.
The woman had asked police to station an officer or even an empty patrol car at her home to prevent Lord from attacking her, but police rejected the request, saying they lacked the resources and were not obligated to defend her in her own home.
The Fiddlehead Focus / St. John Valley Times staff are pleased to feature content from our sister company, Bangor Daily News. To read the rest of “Maine court told to reconsider police role in deadly 2015 rampage,” an article by contributing Reuters, please follow this link to the BDN online.