Fort Kent Fire Department fight chimney fire in sub-zero temps
FORT KENT, Maine – A number of people living in the St. John Valley expressed disbelief as they posted photos on social media sites of thermostats reading in the negative double digits on Saturday, Feb. 11. Volunteer firefighters with the Fort Kent Fire Department braved the cruel cold temperatures twice on Saturday to respond to calls for assistance.
The firefighters first responded to a chimney fire at 7:14 a.m. at a home which Gary Harvey owns at 95 Pleasant Street. The fifteen volunteer firefighters who responded along with the engine, ladder truck and heavy rescue truck, were able to contain the fire to the chimney. Nobody was injured as a result of the fire and the FKFD cleared the scene at 8:02 a.m, according to Chief Ed Endee.
Just over two hours later, at 10:16 a.m., the firefighters responded to another call, this time at a residence at 716 Caribou Road. Twelve firefighters rushed to the scene along with the engine, ladder truck and heavy rescue truck. Fortunately, there was no fire at the residence, where firefighters discovered a faulty smoke alarm, according to Chief Endee.