Apex Weather

The Week Ahead: St. John Valley weather for Dec. 12 – 18, 2016

Monday, December 12, 2016 – Sunday, December 18, 2016

ST. JOHN VALLEY — The week begins with winter weather across the St. John Valley as a coastal low brings snowfall to the region. This system moves east later Monday with high pressure briefly building in for Tuesday. Another cold front approaches Tuesday-Wednesday, with a chance for snow showers for the Valley. Unsettled weather with snow showers persists Thursday and Friday, with another round of bitterly cold Arctic air moving into the region. A cold front brings another round of snow to the Valley Sunday.

Daily Weather Summary

Monday, December 12

High: upper 10s
Low: mid-10s

Overcast with a 90 percent chance for snow and 6-8 inches of new snow accumulation expected. East winds 5-10 mph increasing to 10-15 mph in the afternoon becoming northwesterly 0-5 mph overnight. Chance for precipitation decreasing to 70 percent overnight with snow tapering to snow showers.|

Tuesday, December 13

High: low 20s
Low: low 10s

Clearing skies with partly cloudy conditions through early afternoon and a 10 percent chance for precipitation. Increasing clouds with mostly cloudy skies overnight and a 40 percent chance for snow through early Wednesday. West winds 5-10 mph become southerly in the evening 0-5 mph.

Wednesday, December 14

High: low 20s
Low: near 5

Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance for snow showers increasing to a 40 percent chance overnight. Southerly winds become westerly 5-10 mph becoming southerly in the evening.

Thursday, December 15

High: low 10s
Low: near -5

Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance for snow showers. Light south wind becomes westerly 8-14 mph.

Friday, December 16

High: near 5
Low: near -4

Partly sunny to mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance for snow showers. Northwest winds 8-14 mph becoming westerly in the evening.

Saturday, December 17

High: upper 10s
Low: near 10

Partly cloudy early then increasing clouds with a 40 percent chance for snow increasing to a 60 percent chance for snow overnight. Light south wind.

Sunday, December 18

High: upper 20s
Low: near 5

Overcast with a 40 percent chance for snow. Light south wind becomes westerly 8-14 mph.

Note: Computer model precision diminishes the further into the week the forecast projects. Check the Fiddlehead Focus Facebook page for weather updates with more current information.

The Week Ahead is the work of UMFK Professor Joseph E. Becker based on personal weather station data, various computer forecast models, and information that the National Weather Service, NOAA, and other weather resources provide.

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.